I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sudoku - A Handsome Samurai

I have almost completed my book Sudoku Programming (if I have ever seen a plug...) about how to write C applications that can solve and generate Sudokus. As part of it, I have decided to explain how to generate Samurai Sudokus. I had noticed that they often have the shared boxes completely empty and wanted to do better than that. I am very happy with the result, and would like to share it with you. Here it is:


I can generate as many as I like and not necessarily fully symmetrical, even if I think that they are just beautiful. Each one of the five puzzles I used to ‘assemble’ the Samurai requires some non-trivial strategies like Y-wing, XY-chain, and X-wing. The presence of the intersections might/should reduce the overall difficulty of the puzzle, but I still expect it to be reasonably (whatever that means) difficult.

Obviously, I have got the solution, but you don’t expect me to give it to you, do you?

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy you like it! I placed for you another one of my symmetrical samurais on zambon.com.au/tmp/samurai.tif.

    Ciao, Giulio.

    ReplyDelete