I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Is this true about Islam?

Earlier today, I viewed a YouTube video that makes statements about Islam.  I confess that I found it a bit disconcerting.  Unless somebody managed to get it removed, you will find it at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w&f.



Before writing this post, I asked myself whether I was being offensive of Islam in any way, but I don’t see how.  In a nutshell, the video makes the following three points:
  1. People who haven’t read the Qur’an (i.e., the majority of us, me included, although I did buy it and I do intend to read it sooner or later) assume that it is a book comparable to the Bible, but it is not so.  The Bible was authored by several people over a period of centuries, and contains culture, history, parables, and allegories. The Qur’an, on the other hand, was written by a single person and focuses on imperatives.  Moreover, in the Qur’an it is stated that, if there are contradictions, the later verse supersedes any previous differing one. You can only take the Qur’an in its entirety or refuse it in its entirety. As it happens, the mild and peaceful verses cited by moderate Muslims tend to appear at the beginning and are superseded by more violent verses.  Therefore, the Qur’an is described to us as a much more peaceful book than it actually is.
  2. Islam is not simply a religion. Islamic doctrine and practice encompass all aspects of society including: belief and ritual worship, economic transactions, contracts, morals and manners, and crime and punishment.  Shari’ah permits wife beating, honour killing, and, literally, an eye for and eye punishment.  It mandates death for homosexuals, apostates, adulterers, and critics of Allah, Muhammad, the Qur’an, and Islam.  Global imposition of Islamic doctrine and practice is a religious duty, not a matter of choice.
  3. Muslims are explicitly allowed to deceive non-Muslims to protect and advance the imposition of Islam.  The author of the video states that Muslim leaders have been known to deliver different messages when talking in English than they delivered when talking in Arabic.
I have highlighted the four statements that I find critical in forming an opinion.  I don’t know [yet] whether they are true or not.  If they are, it could mean that what we call Islamic fundamentalists could in fact be closer to the correct doctrine of Islam than the so-called moderates.  Or it could mean that the moderates are not so moderate after all and only express themselves in peaceful terms because it is the best way to pursue their goal of world islamisation.

Honestly, I don’t know what to think.  I will start reading the Qur'an.  Meanwhile, what do you make of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment