I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Earlobes

There are two types of earlobes: attached and free, as shown in the following picture I found in BasicGenetics – Examples of Dominant and Recessive Traits.


Apparently, attached earlobes are a recessive character, although it is not always clear whether a particular earlobe is attached or not, and several genes seem to be involved.

The only study I found about the frequency of the two types of earlobes was conducted on a sample of 1600 unrelated individuals in Lagos (Nigeria). It stated: the population frequency of attached is 25.37%, a value within the range for Caucasoids but lower than for Mongoloids. OK. One in four.

In any case, my earlobes are free. I got interested in earlobes after noticing that, while turning in bed, the lobe of the ear resting on the pillow was folded up. I used my index finger to unfold it because it made me feel more comfortable. No big deal. But I wonder for how many years I had done it without realising it.

Now, as earlobes (like noses) tend to grow with old age, perhaps this action of unfolding earlobes when lying on my side only became necessary in recent years. But perhaps I have always done it automatically, without becoming aware of doing it. It might have happened all my life.

This makes me wonder how many other actions I perform without being aware of them.

And is it only me or other people do it as well? Further, if they don't, is it because their earlobes don't fold or because they don't notice it?

Perhaps most people with free earlobes need to unfold them every now and then. If this were the case, I like to think that this article will make some of you aware of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment