I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Jihad and Kamikazes

Paul Ham, in his book Hiroshima Nagasaki, reports that in 1945 the Japanese tried hard to recruit 15-year-old boys as Kamikaze pilots.



He writes:

In Hiroshima, Nagasaki and elsewhere, advertisements for ‘child soldiers’ appeared in the newspapers, encouraging parents to enlist their sons. Posters exhorted children to worship and imitate the death squads and kamikazes. Captions such as, ‘Mother! Father! Send me into the skies too!’ accompanied dreamy pictures of boys gazing into US ships. The Intelligence and Aviation Bureaus and the Great Japan Aeronautic Association were responsible for these desperate appeals.

As I keep saying in my articles, desperation is what drives terrorism. Let's give hope to those suicide bombers and they will stop blowing themselves up.

1 comment: