I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mac X error code -8084


Since when I tried out the very first Macintosh, in 1984, Apple has always impressed me with the quality and the cleverness of its products. But yesterday, while I was backing up to a new flash key my Firefox profile, I got the following error alert (the grey highlight is mine):

In itself, to get a cryptic error message was not a big deal. It only meant that a check had caught a very unusual error condition for which no explicit message had been created. I did what I always do when confronted with something unknown: I copied the error message into the clipboard and pasted it in Google’s search field.

It turns out the nowhere is error code -8084 to be found. Apple in 1998 published a list of errors, but it stops at -5553 and is pre-system X.

I discovered that the problem disappeared after quitting Firefox. The most logical explanation is that Firefox had opened a file with an exclusive lock, thereby preventing the system from reading it.

But it is a disappointment that Apple no longer publishes a detailed list of errors, even if it might be partially obsolete as soon as it is written.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this article. I'm following your blog for a while now - enjoying it. Do you have any plans to shed some light on a topic of online data room services ? Thanks in advance for your reply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it! As you can see from the dates of the most recent articles, I have been neglecting this blog. Concerning the type of services you mention, I would be very careful. Call me paranoid, but I try to use clouds as little as possible. It is appealing to have critical data stored in an [allegedly] secure place, but I would also rely on "old fashion" back-ups!

    ReplyDelete