I use this blog as a soap box to preach (ahem... to talk :-) about subjects that interest me.

Monday, September 13, 2010

I am what I am

This is a very short story that I wrote for the Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild.  To be honest, I don't know whether they used it.  I include it here to show that it is possible to write micro-fiction in 124 words.

      When I was first switched on, people often asked me “How does it feel being a robot?”
      My answer was always “When my operational parameters are close to their optimal values, I could say I feel good.”
      They didn’t seem to be entirely satisfied by my answer, and kept asking questions like “Are you happy to be a robot?”
      Bios are very much interested in what they call feelings. Robots are not. When I do what I have been built to do, the potentials in my positronic brain are in balance. Whether this condition could be called happiness is irrelevant.
      Now that they have become used to me, the bios have stopped wasting time with useless questions. It is better so.

No comments:

Post a Comment